Human treats are NOT pet treats
Keep the candy bowl out of reach! Chocolate (in all forms), especially dark chocolate, is toxic to dogs and cats. Sugar-free candies and gums can cause serious issues in pets if ingested because they contain the artificial sweetener “Xylitol” which is also toxic.
Any treat can be considered a choking hazard or cause gastrointestinal upset. If a pet eats a treat that has fallen on the floor, they tend to eat it wrapper and all. This is extremely dangerous because foil and plastic are not digestible.
Decorations can be dangerous
Candles, fake fog, electric cords and carving utensils can all pose a risk to your pet. Just like children, pets do not understand the potential dangers of these items.
Candles: A carved pumpkin looks great all lit up but pets can easily knock over a lit pumpkin and start a fire. Pets also run the risk of getting burned if they get too close to an open flame. Try using a battery operated candle or tea light instead.
Fake Fog or Dry Ice: Fake fog and dry ice are commonly made up of carbon dioxide gas or liquid nitrogen gas. Keep all pets out of the fog as it is considered hazardous.
Electric Cords: Keep all electric cords up and out of reach so pets can’t chew them and be electrocuted.
Carving Utensils: Carving pumpkins can be fun but most carving utensils are sharp so don’t leave them laying around where pets can step on them.
Having your pet dress up can be festive and fun – depending on the pet. For some pets, wearing costumes can make them stressed out, irritated or uncomfortable. Don’t put your cat or dog in a costume unless you know they can tolerate it. If you are going to dress your pet, make sure the costume is properly adjusted, doesn’t limit movement or ability to breathe. Too tight and it can cut off circulation, too loose and your pet can trip or get caught on something. It is a good idea to have your pet try on the costume before Halloween. If it makes your pet uncomfortable or stressed – try using a Halloween themed bandanna instead. Never leave a pet in a costume unattended – serious injury can occur if a pet tries to chew the costume or if the costume becomes caught on something.
The constant ringing of the doorbell, the laughter and screams, scary music and masks – these can all be confusing and daunting for our pets. It is best to try and minimize stress – keep pets in a quiet room with the door closed. Turning on the TV or radio can help muffle the outside noises.
With the door constantly opening and closing on Halloween night, it is best to make sure your pet is microchipped and has all proper tags on its collar. A stressed or overly excited pet could easily escape when opening the door for trick-or-treaters.
Keep Cats Indoors
Sadly, cats – particularly black ones, are at risk of being harmed or stolen during Halloween season. It is best to keep all cats indoors for the entire month of October.
Written by Kylie, CCR