The Lykoi has to be one of the most intriguing of all cat breeds. Looking like a werewolf or a creature of folklore, the Lykoi is truly unique.
The Lykoi comes from a natural genetic mutation from a domestic shorthair cat. The first Lykoi was discovered in 2010 in a feral cat population in the United States. In 2011 a veterinarian named Johnny Gobble and his wife Brittney Gobble and a woman named Patti Thomas founded the breed. Genetic, DNA, health and dermatological testing were done on the founding cats. This proved that there was no Sphynx or Devon Rex gene (as previously thought) and that their unique hair coat was not from any genetic condition or disease. The name “Lykoi” was agreed on by the founders and comes from the Greek word for “Wolf,” which is very fitting. Since the original Lykoi was found, there have been other natural mutation Lykoi found in the USA, Canada and Europe. The Lykoi is a very intelligent and loyal breed. They have lots of energy and are happy to play with others or by themselves. Often compared to dogs, the Lykoi loves to hunt, chase and fetch. Lykois can be protective and may take a little while to get used to new people, but when they do, you will have a friend for life. If you are looking for an intelligent and affectionate little werewolf, then the Lykoi may be the right breed for you!
- Male: 10-13 lbs.
- Female: 5.5-8.8 lbs.
- Medium sized cat
- Lean body
- Wedge-shaped head
- Medium oval-shaped eyes – gold in colour
- Tall pointed ears with a wide base
- Tail shorter than body and tapers to a point
- Medium length legs
- No hair around the eyes, chin, nose, muzzle, and the back of the ears
- According to TICA breed standard: “Short to medium length coat. Partially hairless, not dense. The undercoat is minimal; longer guard hairs cover body. Amount of coat will vary depending on the cycle of hair. Coat resembles the look of an opossum coat. Soft to the touch.
- Coat colours and patterns include Black roan. Born solid black, then within 1-2 weeks hairlessness and roan pattern emerge.
- Tendency to vocalize: Moderate
- Affection level: High
- Child-friendly: High
- Dog-friendly: High
- Energy level: High
- Grooming: Moderate – need to bathe once a month – every few months
- Shedding: Moderate
- Health issues: Low
- Intelligence: High
- Average Lifespan: 8-15 years
Common Health Problems:
- No known health concerns
Written by: Kylie, CCR