Fall Dangers for Pets

Fall is my most favorite time of year. The trees changing color, Thanksgiving and Halloween. Autumn is the most beautiful season in my opinion. But what we may not realize is that for our pets; the fall season brings with it some new dangers.

Rodenticides: With colder temperatures, mice and rats tend to look for warmer surroundings which could mean in your house. Be sure if you put out rodenticides that they are out of reach for your pets as well as wildlife. There are four different types of poison: Anticoagulants, cholecalciferol, bromethalin and phosphides.

Antifreeze: Pets are attracted to the sweet taste of the ethylene glycol and it doesn’t take much to be fatal to your pet. One to two teaspoons will poison a cat and about three tablespoons is fatal for a medium sized dog. Signs to look for if your pet has ingested antifreeze are:

  • Excessive thirst or urination
  • Vomiting
  • Panting
  • Drunkenness
  • Lethargy
  • Coma

If you believe your pet may have ingested antifreeze be sure to take them to the vet right away!

Fall Allergies: Did you know that the fallen leaves from trees can have mold? Especially when there has been rainfall, this is a breeding ground for mold. When your pet walks on these leaves, it could cause irritation to their pads. Ragweed and dust are also contributing to the fall allergies of pets. Signs to look for are:

  • Scratching
  • Biting
  • Chewing
  • Sneezing
  • Coughing
  • Watery Eyes
  • Rashes and or hives

Candy: Halloween is around the corner and we all know that chocolate is toxic for your pets, but keep in mind other candy can be toxic as well. The sugar-free sweetener, Xylitol, which you find in not only gum but lollipops, toffees and much more, can be toxic to your pet as well. Watch for candy with raisins as raisins can cause kidney failure in cats and dogs. Candy wrappers and sticks are also dangerous and can cause life threatening bowel obstructions. 

Holiday Dinners: The fall season brings on those yummy family dinners. As pets are a part of the family we often feed some table scraps from these meals. It is advised not to feed any table scraps, but if you do avoid foods that are high in fat as this can trigger pancreatitis in cats and dogs. Stay away from feeding your pets any foods that contain bones; these can get lodged in their throats and can cause intestinal blockage. Stay away from onions as they are toxic. Giving foods plain with no butter or seasonings is best.

Being aware of fall dangers can help keep our pets safe. Let’s make fall a beautiful season for our pets too.

by Jessica